I wish that I could be here:
Okay, enough with the pictures Nicole…focus. When I think of New Orleans and Mardi Gras, I think of King’s Cake. They are beyond delicious and it’s a shame that I only have it once a year. I found a fabulous Mini King Cupcake recipe on MyRecipes. Check out their site and the recipe below:
- YIELD: Makes 1 dozen
- PREP TIME:15 Minutes
- RISE:1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- BAKE:20 Minutes
- COURSE: Cakes/Frostings, Cupcakes, Desserts
- 1/2 cup warm whole milk (110°)
- 2 (1/4-ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons hot water
- Purple, green, and yellow sugar sprinkles
1. Combine milk, yeast, and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl. Stir well, and set in a warm place for about 10 minutes. In another bowl, combine butter and next 3 ingredients; stir in 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
2. Combine flours, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, and kosher salt in a large mixing bowl. Add milk mixture and butter mixture, and beat, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons flour if dough is too sticky, until dough is smooth and forms a shaggy mass. (It should remain soft.)
3. Place dough in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, about 1 hour.
4. Punch dough down, and place on a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 12- x 8-inch rectangle. Combine remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 4 teaspoons sugar, and sprinkle evenly over dough. Roll dough into a log, and cut into 12 equal pieces. Places pieces into paper baking cups in a muffin pan; let rest 30 minutes.
5. Preheat oven to 375°. Brush cupcake tops with beaten egg, and bake 20 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool on wire rack. Combine powdered sugar, water, and remaining 1 teaspoon lemon juice in a small bowl. Drizzle over cooled cupcakes, and top with sprinkles.
OM NOM NOM! Okay, enjoy! xo